Translate

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hey Ya'll!
I am currently sitting in the airport in Sydney Australia! I'm so excited about finally getting into Wellington tonight so I no longer have to live out of my suitcase!
 The Village!
 Beachcomber!

 Sand dunes!
Fiji was an incredible experience, our group really got to see Fiji from many different perspectives which was amazing. We got a taste of the touristy side when we went to Beachcomber Island, we were able to experience the local life of the Fijians by living with our host families, which was great! Sateri and Walter may come visit the south island of New Zealand with Shoshana and me in May. We went out to the bars a couple times with our local coordinator's son. The bars were hoppin', I discovered that you can get guys to buy you a drink if you do the robot... still not sure how that one worked out. Finally we were able to see the cultural side of Fiji when we went into Waikete Village, I didn't realize before coming here how many people still live in villages. We really got a chance to view their lifestyle, they baked our food, chicken and taro in an underground oven, they heat the rocks up with a fire and then remove the wood, covering the food with large leaves and dirt to hold in the heat. One of our guides climbed up a coconut tree and cut open a fresh coconut for us to drink the juice inside. Everything there is so fresh and available, I was loving all the watermelon especially! It was definitely very hot and humid, my hair could not be tamed, I rocked a pony tail most days with a sweaty face. I found it interesting how much the Fijians love Americans, I thought that they might have some negative bias of us but they just love Obama! It was really cool how the Fijians are able to hold on to their culture and simultaneously progress, they are not against technology or anything like that but they continue to live in the Villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment