Translate

Friday, March 15, 2013

Tongariri's Taking Over

Hello!

Last weekend we went on a trip to Tongariro where we got to hike Mt. Doom, an active volcano! This hike was unlike any that I've ever been on! we were literally getting blown away from the strong winds coming at us. The land was completely barren and rocky, the first part of the hike was very flat and along man made paths and board walks. Then it turned into a dramatic incline with lots of stairs. It wasn't until about 3/4th up the mountain that it turned into natural path with ligit hiking and climbing. The view from the top was so cool, we could see the whole volcano and a few of the Emerald lakes! This hike was one of the coldest ones I've been on, at the top a few of us laid down in a spooning train just to try and warm up from the cold winds!
Getting back into the swing of school has proven to be difficult. I am just not in class mode yet, the set up is different here, instead of all lectures we have either 2 or 3 lectures a week with a mandatory 1 hour tutorial which is smaller than our lecture forcing us to participate more. This set up makes skipping lectures very tempting (sorry mom). I'm thinking next week I'll be better about doing my readings and being prepared for class.
I have decided to join club basketball and club rowing.... and tramping (hiking) and white water kayaking? There is just so much to do and participate in at Victoria I want to do it all! Last night from 4-8pm I went to this basketball clinic run by former NBA coach of Kevin Love. I was by no means in shape enough for this. It was more of a camp geared towards younger kids looking to play college ball in the states. Woops missed the boat on that one! As hard as it was I had a really good time playing serious ball and working on my skills. Rowing was supposed to start this morning but I couldn't pull myself out of bed, I am so sore from basketball! I'll have to get into it next week.  Gotta get my rowing in if Lindsay and I are going to make it to RIO!
After Basketball last night Jackie Shoshana, 2 of Jackie's roommates and I went down to Cuba Street (Very similar to Church Street in Burlington) where they had a night market with lots of food and venders. We got this delicious hallow spiral bread, the outside was covered with cinnamon sugar, and they coated the inside with chocolate. I was salivating just looking at and tasted even more great that I can describe! Wellington is such a cute wonderful city!
I just booked my trip up to Auckland for Easter break with Shoshana and Sean and 2 other girls from another program. I'm so excited we are going to be going to the Bay of Islands and some other really awesome places up north, it's coming up so soon! 





No comments:

Post a Comment